Sunday, June 25, 2006

The Laird (Lord in Scottish) of Kincavel

Kate, my Scottish wife, has bought me a plot of land in the Kincavel Estate. This entitles me to use the title of Laird (Owner of Land or Lord in Scottish) officially.

The Kincavel estate lies on the Ardnamurchan peninsular, which covers 50 square miles and is due west of Fort William.. There are around 2000 human inhabitants of the peninsular, but many more thousands of creatures and plants, some of which are very rare. The north coast of the peninsular faces the Islands of Muck, Eigg and Rhum, while the south coast runs alongside Loch Sunart and the Sound of Mull.

The Kincavel estate is within a large area of land belonging to the Sonachan Hotel – 1000 acres in total - 400 of which have been enclosed by fences to encourage the natural regeneration of the flora and fauna without damage by farm stock. Sonachan is located between the beautiful sandy beaches of Ardnamurchan’s north coast and Tobermory – the scene for children’s television show on BBC ‘Balamory’, which is a short ferry ride away on the Isle of Mull.

The Kincavel Estate itself is just a few hundred yards from a secluded golden sandy beach – visitors at some times of the year are likely to find they have it all to themselves! Your land is on a seaward facing hillock and looks out over the sea to the Isle of Mull. On a nice day it is the perfect place for a picnic as there are spectacular views in every direction; across the mountainous countryside inland and over the sea to the Isle of Mull.

Nearby attractions include the Ardnamurchan Natural History Centre and Ardnamurchan Point lighthouse. This lighthouse was one of many built by the Stevenson family, and is the only one in the world built in an Egyptian style. Ardnamurchan Point is the most westerly point in mainland Britain – a claim often wrongly thought to belong to Land’s End in Cornwall.

The nearest village to the Estate is Portuaik – the most westerly settlement on the mainland, overlooking Sanna Bay. From the village there are also views across to the Isle of Skye and the Small Isles.

Well, so now I am a Scottish Laird (Lord) :-).

Interesting stuff.

22 Comments:

At 3:51 pm, Blogger Vasudev Ram said...

Yes, very cool :-)

 
At 8:11 am, Blogger Ruth Bennett said...

hi i too am a laird of kincavel have you any idea how many of us are out there

 
At 1:11 am, Blogger rosepedal said...

my husband just became a Lairt too even in Americia we have our dreams
louise miller

 
At 3:41 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

I too am a Laird of Kincavel. Hmmm I think there should be some sort of gathering for all the Lairds and Ladys

 
At 5:13 pm, Blogger Pastor Chris said...

I am also a Laird of Kincavel and have an interest in creating an online community of the Lairds and Ladies of Kincavel. Would you be interested in joining such a group on Facebook? (The group has not yet been launched.) My e-mail is fat_moses@yahoo.com.

Thanks,
Chris Ross

 
At 3:25 pm, Blogger Pastor Chris said...

Here's the website for the Kincavel Facebook group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=11003393094

If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me:
fat_moses@yahoo.com

-Chris Ross

 
At 12:20 am, Blogger Lady Anne of Kincavel said...

Hi Ashish,

I just became a Lady of Kincavel for 2 month ago (and I am from Sweden) and I think it is just great. You can find my pages on MySpace:

http://www.myspace.com/lady_anne_01
http://www.myspace.com/brommabella08

I am also doing a page on Windows Live Space and wonder if I can quote you on some of the story about Kincavel Estate and the area.

Nice to be a part of the Kincavel gang in here :-D. I wish you all the very best and have a good summer.

Lady Anne of Kincavel

 
At 1:03 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with Joel James that there should be a gathering I became a Lady just one month ago and I am from Ireland

Lady Marie

 
At 2:58 pm, Blogger Kenneth Graham Esq said...

I agree that there should be a gathering of the lairds as in the same as the clans, Is this title registered with the lords lyon court in Edinburgh as legal and binding?how many lairds are there and who looks after the land and people? HERE'S TOO THE LAIRDS. Can one call themself lord kincavel as to laird legally?

 
At 7:37 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, I became a Laird of Kincavel in 2007 and bestowed the honour on Ossi, a German friend, last year too. Can anyone tell me if there is a crest or coat of arms please, And has a meeting yet been organised?
Davidemmgee Laird of Kincavel.

 
At 8:07 pm, Blogger Mike Russ Entertainments UK Ltd said...

I have been Laird of Kincavel for 4 years now and was past down to me by my grandfather who is Scottish and from the Isle of Skye..He is also from 2 very well known clans. Unfortuately as I live in England many people do not understand what a Laird is. For those who are English you are within the law to also take on the title of Lord as Laird is the same as being Lord. I think it would be great that all the Lairds and Lady's to meet up soon on our estate. I am also looking into creating and building website of Kincavel for all us Lairds and Ladys.

Laird Ross G Cooper
rgcooper@live.co.uk

 
At 1:46 pm, Blogger Lady Victoria said...

Hi Everyone, I have also just become Laird of Kincavel just done some research on it and found out theres loads of us, as you can see i am using the title Lady Victoria now , ha ha ha.

 
At 7:46 pm, Blogger dipsydoodlenoodle said...

hi fellow LAIRDS,there is so many of us with "royal scottish blood"
i have been a laird only since july 09.But already i feel like a wee dram to celebrate my clan Family.cheers all the best Allan Curry.also Laird of Kincavel

 
At 5:51 pm, Blogger Lady C said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:44 pm, Blogger lady kate said...

hi to all ladies and lairds of kincavel, i became lady kate in may this year and i am looking for the coat of arms , i did see a web site where you could buy letter heads etc. but having a blonde moment and can't remember where, can anyone help? lady kate

 
At 1:14 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

I am now a Lady my husband gave me this gift for our Wedding Anniversary what a great present now he has to take me to find my plot.

 
At 7:55 pm, Blogger dipsydoodlenoodle said...

hi lairds n ladys
what do you think about the famous Bette Midler becoming a lady of
kincavel Mmmm.do they just let any
colonial person join our select
clan
women film stars indeed
whats the world coming to.
just kidding your very welcome
lady Bette.

 
At 1:04 am, Blogger USTammy said...

I just registered my husband as a landowner, it was his Christmas present. We raise Scottish Highland cattle here in the US so I thought it was fitting! What a great idea for a gathering! We would love it!

 
At 11:08 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a Boating couple I would like to know if there is a house flag of Kincavel,it would be nice to fly this on our boat,
Lady Audrey.

 
At 2:05 am, Blogger sbelle327 said...

I have been a Lady for about a year, does anyone know/or has been able to get a driver's license with the title? (United States) thanks...

 
At 6:32 pm, Blogger Lady Kathleen of Kincavel said...

Hello I am Lady Kathleen now

 
At 10:42 am, Blogger Unknown said...

2021. My son is a Laird. Purchased 2016. Christening gift. Just found it after all that time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home